Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Drains

 
 
 


I had the drains removed 13 days post-surgery and it was SUCH a relief to have them out.  I had to deal with a blockage in my right drain twice during those 13 days and it was very painful.  Little pieces of tissue from the surgery can get stuck in the drain and then the whole chest area swells up with the backed up fluid.  The way to fix this is to "strip the drains" over and over and hope it clears.  Not fun stuff but I am glad I had them.  They kept the fluid down to a reasonable level and helped me to heal. 


Chris had to empty the drains every morning and measure the amount of fluid that came out.  When the fluid is low enough, the surgeon's office will remove them.  I was told I would have to have them for 2-3 weeks and I was fortunate to get them out on day 13. 

Having the drains removed didn't cause a large amount of pain.  I would describe it as uncomfortable with a lot of pulling and pinching.  There is approx. 12-15 inches of tubing inside of the body on each side with another 12-15 inches outside of the body.  So, when they pull it out, it is a very odd feeling.  We could actually see the tubes moving under my skin.  It was not fun but a huge relief to have them out.  I was surprised that they didn't close the incision where the tube came out.  Instead they clipped the stitches that were on either side of the tube and left it open and bandaged it up.  I had a little more fluid drain out there over the next few days, so maybe that is why they leave it open?  It seems odd to have a gaping hole in each side. 


After the drains come out, life is greatly improved.  I can move around much better and have started to gain some more mobility in my arms. 



This is the view from my recliner.  I have spent countless hours here.  It has been so good to have this recliner!  I don't know what I would've done without it. 

Day 18:  I have not been out of the house yet except for 3 doctor appointments. We discovered putting a pillow under the seat belt is a lifesaver. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment