Sunday, July 16, 2017

Post-Surgery Arms

After surgery, I realized I could literally not move my arms - almost at all.  My right arm was much worse than my left arm as it was the right side where Dr. Lisa removed the lymph tissue. 

In addition, my entire chest area is completely numb and the numbness wraps around through my arm pit area and to part of my back on my right side.  Since all of the nerves were cut, this numbness may last forever or I may regain some of the feeling in some areas. 

Not only could I not move my arms but I couldn't put any pressure on them...no pushing and no pulling and no lifting of any kind.  It was very overwhelming.  Initially I could not lift a glass to my lips. I have already bought straws in preparation for the next surgery. 

Post-surgery Arms:  Things That Are Hard/Impossible:

Getting in and out of bed
Getting out of recliner
Pulling lever to recline the recliner
Getting dressed / undressed
Eating with right arm (or side that had lymph nodes out)
Managing Hair:  Brushing, Shampooing, Pulling Back into Pony Tail, etc.
Pulling shirts over head
Open kitchen drawers
Open fridge, microwave, or dishwasher
Twist open jars, including medicine
Open or close car door or sliding glass door
Holding cell phone up to ear
Scratching forehead
brushing teeth
Reaching up high (reaching up at all!)
Putting on makeup, especially mascara
Clasping a necklace behind your neck
Lifting anything heavier than a small glass of water


Chris did literally everything for me that first week or 10 days.  He even shampooed my hair in the kitchen sink and then dried it for me.  He still does a lot for me, but I have come a long way. 

 

After about a week, I was able to sit on the deck for short periods of time.  Chris had to open and close the screen for me.  It was so nice to have a change in scenery!


Now that I am 19 days out, my arms are greatly improved.  They started getting a lot better after the drains were removed.  They are still very sore and I still can't lift them over my head but I am getting much better.  The Physical Therapy will help me to regain that mobility even more.  I still can't handle big stuff like closing or opening car doors, but I can open the fridge and the kitchen drawers now, and that is a bonus! 

It is amazing how much we take for granted when we are healthy & well. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment