Thursday, July 20, 2017

Reconstruction: A Lot of Uncertainty

I am absolutely an "order need" and always have been.  I like to order my Brooks running shoes in a 7.5 and know without a shadow of a doubt that they will fit perfectly.   Much to my dismay, reconstruction is not as easy.  There are a lot of unknowns. 

I went to the Plastic Surgeon's office yesterday for another "fill."  Once again, it is a highly emotional appointment as you watch them blow up a fake breast on your chest.  I was more prepared for it this time though and it wasn't quite as bad as the first one. 

She put in 90cc on both sides. 

I have made it very clear that I want to be about the same size that I was prior to surgery.  No one has been able to assure me that I will be. 

There has been a lot of talk of "well, you'll be somewhere between 350cc - 450cc depending on how the implants fit."  Or "You'll end up being a little bigger."  Well, why??  Why such a large range on the estimate?

Today I told the NP "If I wake up from surgery a lot larger than I was, I will be devastated." 

It all depends on how much space is in your chest cavity.  They have to be sure to fill it entirely because if they don't, scar tissue can form and cause complications.  Also, they need the skin to be completely tight so that it has less risk of dying.  All of that is to say, it is harder for them to do a smaller implant. 

Because I did the nipple sparing surgery, they can't take away any skin because then the nipples wouldn't be in their natural location. 

So, I am praying that all will go well.  I have been warned that when I wake up from surgery, I will look MUCH bigger than I want to because of swelling.  They told me to give it a good 6 months before I will be down to my new normal size. 

As for the fill itself, this morning I am having major muscle spasms in my neck, my lower back, my upper back and even my sides.  I am having much more discomfort than last time but this was a much bigger fill. 

I will avoid driving today with how sore and tight I am.  I am back to taking the muscle relaxers around the clock. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment