Tuesday, July 18, 2017

First Day Driving


There have been a lot of firsts for me these last few weeks!  Today was my first day to drive.  Just one day shy of 3 weeks post-surgery.  I think I would have been driving a little sooner if I didn't fall.
The fall set me back a few days.  The doctor said I likely popped a couple of internal stitches and had me continue to wear a compression bra 24 hours a day and said not to use my right arm for a day (that is hard!).  She said if I suddenly went flat or one side was bigger than the other, it would indicate a leak in the expander, which would mean an additional surgery.  I am thanking the Lord that hasn't happened.  I did have tremendous swelling and some bruising and additional pain but I am improving a bit each day again.

I drove with my pillow between my chest and the seatbelt & other than being extra sore when turning the steering wheel, I did great!

Chris surprised me with a survivor magnet for my car.  He was so happy to put that on.
This experience makes you appreciate each day more than you thought possible.

My big drive was just a couple minutes to the village to watch the end of Luke's lacrosse practice and then to drive him home.  Watching his scrimmage at the end of practice was especially exciting for me since I haven't seen the kids play their sports in 3 weeks!

After I drove Luke home to shower and grab a snack, I drove him back to town for his violin lesson.  Chris had taken 2 full weeks off of work and now was working just a little more than a half a day at the office.  Today was the longest day I was on my own and here I drove twice!  I was feeling partly like Super Woman and partly like I was crazy and needed to go to bed (which I did for 2 hours after we got home!).   I waited the 30 minutes outside of his lesson room and then we drove home. 

By the time I drove back to town the 2nd time for Luke's lesson, I was getting really sore.  The hard part is turning the steering wheel, especially if it is a hand-over-hand ..pull...pull...pull... situation, which it was fairly often on the way down and back.  I got so sore that Luke had to open the close the car door for me, but we did it!

Cherishing each day.  A little healing everyday is good stuff.  Physically and emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment